What Am I Allowed To Bring To Rehab
After deciding to enrol for a rehab it is essential to understand the kind of items you will be allowed to bring into the centres along with any private items which the treatment centres will not allow.
Rehab centres have various policies, which are strict about what you can bring with you during the treatment. A list of allowed objects and forbidden ones is presented by most clinics.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Get The Packing Information
Most rehab centres have their own website featuring a "What to Pack" webpage, where you will find information regarding what is allowed. Search for the FAQ page if that section is not present. Some centres are known to offer packing checklists, which is printable that you can refer to while packing. In case you are unable to find these information in print, you can always call your rehab centre for it. The staff will guide you on this matter. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
The list varies from centre to centre.
For the better part, you are recommended to carry the following
- A list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of people you wish to have involved within your treatment [loved ones, healthcare professionals, twelve-step sponsors, etc.].
- Your wedding ring or watch or other everyday jewellery items.
- Other items can just be left at home.
- You can carry an alarm clock which does not have a radio.
- In other facilities, all necessities are provided and you are required to bring only yourself.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- All the medicines must be up to date and prescribed by a certified doctor.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- A bit of cash (from £50 to £100 in small bills for store runs, vending machine, etc.)
- Bring along your credit cards or check book for settling the payment for new medications.
- Your insurance cards and an ID (driving license, passport, etc.)
- If you want to make long distance calls, bring a calling card with you.
- A notebook or a journal.
- Stamps and envelopes for mailing letters if you wish to.
- Pictures of your loved ones to be retained within your room or your wallet.
- Reading materials like books however, some centres provide them to you.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- Tip It is better if you bring paperbacks than hardcovers because they are lighter.
What Attire Is Needed
You need to be aware of what clothes are permitted in the rehab you are going to. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
You have to bear in mind that the sizes of the rooms in the facility may not be as big as your room at home.
Attire for a week is sufficient as you should be able to wash your clothing in a laundry machine at your centre. Clothes that are easily cleaned are the best to carry.
Ensure that you bring following clothes and items that will make your week comfortable
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday activities, sports and flip flops for the shower.
- Shirts If you have tank tops you should also be looking forward to packing some cardigans to wear along with them to comply with the dress code of the centres.
- Shorts Lengths may be determined by the centre to comply with a dress code.
- A couple of special dresses.
- Bathing suit One is more than enough.
- A coat/jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A belt, if needed.
- A hat some centres do not permit hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
Carrying alcohol free makeup products is what many rehabs advocate for. Some may allow you to bring products, which do not have alcohol within the first three ingredients that are listed. Aerosols are not allowed.
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair wash and care products
- Hair styling products (pump hair spray only)
- Feminine care products
- Shaving cream
- Body lotion
Items Not To Take To Rehab
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery Most of the following item are not allowed in many rehabs
- Drugs and booze
- Medicines that are not prescribed
- Pornographic materials
- Food or drinks
- Body sprays with alcohol content
- Unsealed over-the-counter medicines
- Nail products
- Video games and DVDs
- Sport equipment
- Revealing attire (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff bearing tops, etc.)
- Ammonia, bleach, and other stuff used in cleaning
- Any forms of electronic equipment.
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. Retrieval will be better off without such distractions. They will provide screening schedules or any equivalent at their specified time.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. Three healthy meals, beverages, and snacks are provided by the centre. Inform your clinic before admission if you have special needs.
Items Allowed In Some Rehabs But Not In Others
There are clinics that may permit items that are forbidden in others as every centre has its regulations. The list below includes items that are permitted by some centres
- Computer Equipment
- Access to these items will be restricted even if the rehab chosen by you allows these items.
- Just make sure that your chargers and power cords are brought with you.
- There are facilities that allow patients to bring cigarettes.
- However, you may be restricted in the number of cigarettes you are to take in a day.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- OTC medications should be brand new.
- Chewing Gums
- Gums too should be unopened and sealed during admission.
- MP3 and CD Players
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- Cameras should also not access the internet.
- Throwaway or Electric Razors
- Due to their dangerousness, razors may be forbidden in certain clinics.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Clippers
- Some allow nail clippers, some don't.
- Items To Make Your Room Feel Like Home
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
Your property will always be safe. You close relative will be advised to go back with these items. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. It is possible that the centre might store the item till your release day.
There are higher probabilities that you will go to a clinic alone if you reached the centre by plane. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. In case you pack something, which is prohibited by mistake you will want to ensure that those items will be returned during some stage. They can either send them back to your place or keep them safe till the end of the recovery process.
Preparing Your Stuff For Rehab You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. Follow the general rule and try to pack light to keep it down to the necessities.
Reach Out For Help Today
Every reputable centre gives permission to its patients to bring with them things which will help them to stay comfortably inside the facility. Our specialists are more than ready to help you find a centre that allows you to do just that.
Contact us now on 0800 246 1509 so we can match a centre to your needs.